Thursday, April 06, 2006

the second time around...

I really appreciate everyone who has contacted me and my family in the last 48 hours. I received thoughtful hopes and well wishes as I entered my first day of re-activation. It was a very good day. Daughter Lauren came with our group to watch the audiologist set up the CI. The audiologist and I had an intense six hour day working with the programming of the processor. I was hooked up to the hard drive while he fiddled around with the programming and asked many questions about what I was hearing. The sounds I heard consisted mostly of hearing a range of frequency sound in beeps and finding thresholds for comfort and quiet. As this took all day, we also had a break of lunch and coffee. During those times, I had an opportunity to explore the world outside. I chose to be attentive and quiet. I do not like hearing myself talk because it sounds so full of bass. Voices are difficult to understand right now. I hear environmental sounds and inquire what they are, but I also need to be led to sounds that come into my space. My family seems to know when to guide me and show patience when I ask what I'm hearing. I have been feeling overwhelmed through out the whole process and am now physically exhausted. My spirits are good, everyone is happy, and the audiologist is especially content with the outcome and feels that I should do very well.

Today was alot different from my original activation day, so we had champagne tonight to celebrate! We go back tomorrow for more fine tuning.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Your second activation day gives new meaning to the song "This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it!" It will only get better! I didn't like my voice either, at first, so hang in there. I thought about you all day yesterday and checked your blog first thing this morning! Let me know how you are doing when you get a chance! As always, your CI friend, Laurie

Fri Apr 07, 04:47:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful that it was a Champagne Day! You were in our thoughts all day and I was thrilled to read your blog today. We are looking forward to more good news and another visit before long. Wonder what our voices will sound like to you. Magic Happens! Much love, Auntie Marilyn and family.

Fri Apr 07, 11:26:00 AM 2006

 
Blogger KJackson said...

Lol you and me the same thing! When I first got the digital hearing aids..I didn't like my voice either! It sounds so strange. It's nice to know we have a similar journey..but at least I tell you right now..it will be worth it in the long run. It has been almost a year..and I am still adjusting the sounds everyday. I m very happy for you. KJ

Fri Apr 07, 04:49:00 PM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home