Thursday, January 26, 2006

First week back at work - a mouse!

I just awoke from 10 hours of sleep. I found the first week back to work exhausting. There are new sounds to hear and my both my ears and eyes are constantly following them to connect with what they are. Daily I have a nap after work. I keep telling myself I need exercise to wake up but no, I cannot seem to do that as my eyes need to close for a while.

I am still fascinated that there is an ability to hear distinct sounds in a room of noise. A small child at work likes to cover his mouth and say "uh oh" in a quiet voice. I never knew he was saying that, I only saw the expression with his hand. There have been discoveries - I'd never heard the public sound system in this school and it took me by surprise as I've been working there for two years now. Five years ago I worked at another public school where I would hear the announcements (of course, never could understand them) but I had forgotten about it.

A couple of people told me that my voice sounded less nasal, particularily in one program I was using at the time. That was interesting to me and I would like to be made aware of it if I am talking to you. Thank you for your support!

Today I will be downtown working with the audiologist and tomorrow I shall begin audio-therapy. I am curious and eager to get at the therapy. I have been exploring the audio-therapy sites on the computer and look forward to some guidance from the audiologist on how best I can use them. The link is to the right, in CI Hear. Click on Audiotory Therapy and that is where I have been spending some time these last few days. Monday night I was checking out the links for animal sounds and came upon MOUSE. Curious as to what sound a mouse makes, I listened to it. It is a clicking sound. In timely fashion, my sister connected with me, curious as to how the first few days back at work was going. I directed her attention to what I was doing on the computer with animal sounds and asked her, "Does a mouse actually make a clicking sound??". She said yes, she had to get a new mouse because the other one was much too noisy and the one she is using right now is much quieter.

I dont think we were talking about the same thing. Now who is the brighter one? ;)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now what kind of question is that to ask of an older sister vs a younger, Sister! :-)

Thu Jan 26, 07:59:00 AM 2006

 
Blogger KJackson said...

AMAZING...you know..ever since I'm reading your blog with your experiences..I, myself, become tad bit of self conscious of sounds around me. Thinking am I "nosy" doing this or that etc? LOL..I keep asking Sean..is this noisy etc? Sean just rolled his eyes..ya so? I am amazed how hearing people are acustomed to sounds so easily whereas we both learning to hear and experiencing it everyday!
After your experience with Safeway, I went there myself for annual grocery. I then noticed the sounds like you mentioned..I had no ideas that was happening. It may not be so "clear" as you stated for me. But WOW..that is a noisy world we live in!! Right now, Im wearing my hearing aids on and off, one side then the other. I can see my parents thinking..shaking their heads..wear BOTH of them!!!
Keep telling me more of your experiences..I love them. It heightens my awareness as well.
Love KJ

Sat Jan 28, 11:14:00 AM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home