Wednesday, December 28, 2005

My residual hearing

On Christmas Eve, 13 days post-surgery, while embracing my sister in greeting she said in a high voice "Hiii-eee" (unsuspecting) into my right implanted ear that is not yet activated. I suddenly lurched backwards, covering my ear in astonishment, as if to prevent it from being disturbed during hibernation. I remarked with surprise, "I heard that!" It is not her familiar voice that I knew through my hearing aid. The sound was a less-than-pleasant inaudible shrill. I asked her to repeat in my ear what she said but because she was aware I was in the 'healing' phase, she hesitated to bring her voice back to the high treble. I did hear her a second time.

Since then, I have been aware that I can hear glasses tinkling as well as silverware dropping down on plates, I even heard an echo of an empty plastic water bottle that fell over onto a hollow surface. My daughters have laughed into my ear and I was able to pick up parts of their gleeful outburst. My daughter, who plays piano, tapped forcefully across the keyboard and as I stood near the strings, I was able to hear only the highest F and G with the implanted (and unactivated) ear. It is an inaudible high pitch, but by nature I am moved to curiosity when I hear anything with or without support. Interesting to me is that without any hearing devices, I am hearing better on the implanted side. Using the hairdryer that I've used for years now sounds noisier to me. I have to remind myself that the implant has not yet been activated, if only one frequency at a time because it seems that way. It is as if the surgeon unglued a couple of haircells in the cochlea and they are dancing again to the long-lost frequency. I will inquire about this curious phenomenon.

All this to say my CI friend Laurie reminds me with a smile that I may "still have residual hearing left but it isn't worth much! Just wait until activation day."

Within the last twelve hours I have been able to locate the implanted computer chip embedded on the skull. The swelling has now gone down. I find myself in a mild sense of awe as I stroke this foreign object under the skin. I can now anticipate where the magnetic transmitter will attach to my head.

It is 17 days since the surgery. The dizziness has abated. The tinititus comes and goes, but it has been a welcome sound, fitting for this Christmas season. I call it the Christmas Bells. I am feeling great and will attempt a walk today. Time does heal, that is for sure.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzie,
Just had a chance to get to the internet today.
Your CI experience sounds wonderful.
I remember the magic when I first got hearing aids.
Your writing style is very picturesque...must be the artist within.
Will check in again in a few days.
Hope all continues joyously in the new year!
Lynne (from DCS)

Wed Jan 04, 12:18:00 PM 2006

 
Blogger Molly said...

Hello, your story is great. What an amazing thing to have happen to you. Congratulations, and I have enjoyed reading.

Fri Jan 13, 09:42:00 AM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home