Friday, January 13, 2006

I am back to wearing two hearing aids

I wore my hearing aid on the left side for a month while the implant insertion healed in the right ear. Earlier this week, as I was contemplating my eldest performing a lead role in an upcoming school play, I moped in the idea I would only hear on the aided side and miss more of her special moments. I decided to try the hearing aid in the implanted ear. I played a CD that I was very familar with and became enchanted that I could enjoy it like I used to many years ago. I watched some t.v. and noticed the words did not appear to be running together and that there was more pitch and variety in the sounds. I have not spent another waking moment without both aids ever since. I am sure I am hearing almost as well as I was 10 years ago. The 's' sounds have returned. There is no monotone in my hearing. There is no question IF I couldnt wear the CI, I can go back to the hearing aids. These couple of days I have talked on the phone to three people I am closest to and have had no trouble understanding. My special phone is designed to benefit me - I have a dual headset with a special amplifier and the volume is L-O-U-D. My confidence on the phone has returned - at least with familiar voices for now.

I think I am doing myself a benefit wearing the aid in the implanted side, as the nerve is once again active and I hope I adjust quickly to the activation moment on Monday. My biggest question is: WILL I understand WITHOUT lipreading? As I watched Lauren's performance, I did not understand anything but I could hear it. I began to comprehend that the sound traveling through my forever-damaged ears are what keeps me from deciphering words properly. The miracle of the cochlear implant is its ability to bypass the damaged part of the ear and process information directly with the auditory nerve. Apparently I might be able to distinguish voice from noise. It takes time and practice.

Yesterday morning my mother had hip replacement surgery. It was also her 76th birthday and she had quite a party - before her operation commenced, the O.R. team gathered around her and sang a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday! The doctor then gave her a '2 and a half pound weight' as a gift. This morning I picked up the phone and gave a call to her hospital room. I was delighted to connect with her voice, although very soft, and it was a miracle to be able to understand her in her groggy state! I heard her inform someone (in a sideways tone) that she was talking to her daughter in canada and would soon be saying goodbye. A soft and joyful tear ran down my cheek as it has been a long time since I had confidence to hear using the phone, especially to engage with my mom who is many miles away on a hospital bed.

Three more days to go and when I am ready for switch on, the hearing aids need to be put away. I must ask the girls to hide them from me - my audiologist tells me the brain needs T-I-M-E to learn the sounds off the processor. He suggested I give one or two months using the CI processor alone. This enables the brain a chance to switch-over and submit to the improved quality sound that the CI provides. In a month, when I try the hearing aid in the unimplanted ear, I may discover that the hearing aid sounds junky compared to the CI and decide to go without it. Every CI recipient has a different experience with a hearing aid in addition to the CI. Sometimes it supports their CI, enabling more directional support, sometimes it doesnt.

Wish me luck. I am more than excited although trying to be prepared for what could sound awful on Monday.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and wishing you lots of luck! Luck seems to be coming your way already, with the new sounds in the implanted, but not yet switched on, ear. This all seems so amazing! Also, I thought your voice sounded clearer on the phone than it has the last few years. Love Di

Fri Jan 13, 10:22:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of wishes for "torn on" day tomorrow Sooz.
We continue to enjoy the BLOG entries from your self and all the far flung friends and cousins.
With our Love and best regards from Calgary,
John Glenn, Ann, Aida and Jack

Sun Jan 15, 12:58:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! sorry I meant "turn on" not "torn on".
-jm

Sun Jan 15, 12:59:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cue the orchestra!! Wishing you great moments tomorrow. All the very best.
Baby Dave

Sun Jan 15, 06:43:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cuz!!

Wow, it is ever exciting on the ol'internet these days between keeping up with the emails on how your Mom is doing and reading your blogs with the anticipation of the big day tomorrow!!

I really wish you all the best Suz, I just can't imagine all the new things that you are going to hear for the first time that most of us have just taken for granted all our lives. I'm so excited for you and really hope that you are able to truly enjoy every new moment of the new world that tiny little piece of technology will open up for you.

I know there are going to be endless new sounds that you are going to hear for the first time and enjoy but there is one that my sisters and I get a great kick out of that i hope you get to hear soon as well. That sound is the sound of our mothers and Aunty Joyce (and Uncle Bob when we see him!) laughing!!..and then the big happy *siiiggghhh* afterward.. its got to be the happiest laughing sound you'll ever hear and you won't be able to help laughing yourself when you hear it! I'm sure the more clear sounds of Lauren and Kirstie's voices will most likely be highest on your list of favorites too!

Well, thats it for now. Just wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you and the girls and pray for only the best for you...looking very forward to your further updates, Andrew :)

Mon Jan 16, 02:01:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today is switch-on day, and we just wanted to send our quick thoughts that we are "hear" for you!

R, D, C & J

Mon Jan 16, 06:35:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Copenhagen cousin and family are also tuning in to follow the developments as you blog along your way a new world of sound brought to you by CI. May your jounrey be safe and successful! Vibe, Kirsten and Cousin Paul

Mon Jan 16, 07:37:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzie, We are reading your blog and following your progress. Thanks for writing so beautifully about your experience. We wish you the best. Love from Jean and Rich.

Tue Jan 17, 05:44:00 PM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home