Thursday, January 19, 2006

Recovering

Its been a tough few hours.. Yesterday at noon I had to cut the mapping short. My body and brain screamed "TMI" (too much information) and I had to get myself home and straight to bed. The strange new way of listening is too much, too different, too much a barrier and I feel lost. I long to return to a feeling of world-presence. Im feeling better this morning, after much needed sleep. I am not as eager to put on the processor this morning... I like the quiet right now. I am tired of the head noise, and the bodily confusion. I know it will pass, I just have to get through it. The whole audible basis of perception is completely altered and life feels foreign in ways. When I finish writing I'll grit my teeth and put it on. I am hopeful that it will get better today.. I have a feeling it will, because as I lay in bed in stillness and quiet last night, I left the CI on to allow my brain to sort itself out. I felt a sense of calm coming into my space, which was oh so good. When I went to sleep, I took it off to allow the skin, where the magnet is that holds the transmitter, to recover.

I realize ever since i was turned on, my attentiveness to life in sound was on HIGH and I haven't had a moment of quiet until my body told me to stop.

Off to get ready to go back to the hospital. Its a slow and long commute. I may play music, or I may allow myself to attend to environmental noises. I prefer to take a quieter approach to the day. The last few days were filled with adrenaline in my body. I am relieved for the quiet state that my body is recovering in.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your exhaustion of energy and brain function makes perfect sense to us. We wondered how long you could ride so high and so intuned to all the new stimulation. We are glad to know you are aware of letting yourself rest, just like your mother is forcing herself to rest more today after her hip replacement surgery. Smart women you two! Love Di, J & MJ too.

Thu Jan 19, 02:37:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there Suzie! Everyone is different with their new CI and there is no "one size fits all". Just take a little bit at a time. Maybe turn the volume or sensitivity down some if it is too much. It will get better, I promise! Hugs, Laurie in TN

Thu Jan 19, 07:58:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comments today reminded me of what my co-worker said to me the other day when our computer printer was down. She said, "You don't realize how noisy it is in here until things shut down." I took a moment and appreciated the quietness of the non-humming of the printer and thought, "Wow! This is kinda different." I liked it, but knew it was because our printer wasn't working.

I am guessing that that is what is referred to as "background" noise, which we get used to shutting out. For you, (I assume) this implant amplifies those everyday sounds that we have learned to ignore, or at least those which we have chosen to tune out.

And yes, I suppose a toilet flushing DOES sound like Niagara Falls. Since I have never seen Niagara Falls, this summer for the family vacation I plan on installing a picture of Niagara Falls in the bathroom and ...

Hang in there, Suzie. You have other bionic family members - like your Mom, now! - and Craig has metal in his mouth. The next Sun Run, I am planning on getting some Inspector Gadget legs.

By the way, listen to your older sister. (You too, Aunty J. - listen to your daughter!)

Luv,

Deb et al

Thu Jan 19, 09:10:00 PM 2006

 
Blogger KJackson said...

Hey Sooz..you got to take several breaks! It's a huge adjustment and it takes time. Watching you every steps of the way!! Need anything..just holler..no better yet, just whisper. Smile.
LOL. I m so thrilled for you.
Love KJ

Fri Jan 20, 07:10:00 PM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home