Tuesday, March 21, 2006

its the first day of spring!



Its a beautiful day to wake up to. We drove in to Vancouver at the break of dawn and got to the hospital in a record 30 minutes. We were waiting at the door to the Surgery Daycare - it opens at 6:30 in the morning. The Surgeon came in wearing his bicycle gear. The lucky guy rides his bike to and from work! Once I was admitted and in my hospital garb, I was moving along quickly towards the big moment. The surgery started at 7:55 and I awoke at 10:30 am on my own and felt very good. My eyes were thick with fluid and I had trouble seeing. It felt like it was covered with vaseline. The nurse helped clean that up and explained that during head surgery, sometimes the eyeballs will fill with fluid and enlarge.

After being in recovery a short time, I was moved to Surgical Daycare where I immediately began walking slowly at 11 am. I felt no sense of dizziness and that was such a relief. The audiologist and the surgeon came in to check with me and to share their experience. They were very enthused by the outcome of the second procedure. The big and imposing X-ray machine was wheeled into the OR and they were able to take pictures of the re-implant before I was stitched up. The array testing was done (a routine procedure) and while it was compared to the first, the result was different. It made more sense to the audiologist and they agree I have got to do much better with this new CI. I was in the car and ready to go home at 1 pm.

I had a good 12 hour sleep last night and have been lingering about quietly. I will head to bed for some more sleep. I can do that now the uncomfortable bandage has come off. The incision is covered with a surgical tape.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I was thinking about you yesterday - I hope you felt the positive thoughts! I'm glad to hear that you are doing well and at home. Hope to see you back at preschool soon! Take care,
Sydelle

Tue Mar 21, 02:56:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You both look "georgeous" Di

Tue Mar 21, 07:30:00 PM 2006

 
Blogger Laurie said...

Suzie, I was so surprised and pleased to see your post when I checked in on you last night! You look happy and content in the car with your mom. Soon you will hear the sounds that have been denied to you far too long. It is a new beginning for you and I will think good thoughts for you! Laurie in TN

Wed Mar 22, 02:12:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy, Great to see the picture of you and Aunty Jean both looking cheery.My thoughts were definetly with you on the 20th!Glad to know all is going well.Thanks for keeping us up to date and letting us be a part of your journey.Best wishes on a speedy and successful recovery!Love Tess

Wed Mar 22, 11:13:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy and Jean! So nice to see your smiley faces! I thought about you a lot on Monday. You have a big cheering section here!! Best wishes on the healing. Jean and Rich

Thu Mar 23, 10:32:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Applause Suzy!
I keep thumbs!

Poland -dianda

Fri Mar 24, 10:22:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep thumbs too! And it was so great to see that picture of you and Auntie Jean! It may be uncomfortable, but the bandage looks very stylish. So glad to hear that you didn't have any of the yucky post-anaesthsia feeling you had last time and that things look better in your head. I know it will be good this time. With love, and thinking of you all the time,
Lisa

Tue Mar 28, 11:01:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all keeping our fingers crossed and thumbs too, but we really want to know the Big Question:

Who took the picture?? :)

Luv, Deb

Tue Mar 28, 10:19:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spring has sprung and it sounds like it is going to be a good year (and beyond,) It sounds as though it has gone much better this time than before and we are happy for you. We pray all will be wonderful for you from here on.
Best wishes
Aunty Pat & Uncle John & Cricket

Thu Apr 06, 06:38:00 AM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home