Saturday, March 18, 2006

A case study

The past two days I have been at the hospital for some more testing. As a "case study,” the audiologist wanted to do an integrity test on the existing device in my head. It was an in-depth look at the validity of the test results using the displaced array. According to the computer data, the current of the electrodes that gave me strange sensations were going in the opposite direction. This abnormality of the current seem to explain the reason why I wasn't getting the frequencies to hear properly.

I also had X-rays done on the head to correlate with the new data. I was also reassured that I would be having an X-ray done once the new implant is inserted into the cochlea. This gives me confidence and eases my spirit about the re-implantation. (In 25 years that the hospital has been implanting these devices, to their knowledge this fold-back has never happened before.) Because this bizarre occurrence did happen to me, I have fleeting fears of it happening again. It is an unsettling thought that I can do without. I want to wake up after the surgery and know that a picture has been taken and that the array is making a full circle inside my cochlea as it should.

It is likely that during the surgery the doctor will do an intravenous of Gravol for me - I had quite a time with nausea after the first surgery - and that was what kept me in the hospital until later in the eve. I wasn't allowed to go home until I was feeling better. Some implantees have stayed over night, but this is becoming rare these days because the surgery is less invasive. There is improved monitoring of anesthesia along with smaller incisions which allows for a faster recovery time. Some patients do go home upon awaking. That would be nice but I won’t hold my breath. I know I am in good care at St. Pauls and I accept everyone as being unique and what happens post surgery is different for everyone.

I also had an un-aided "sentence understanding test" to see how well I was hearing with the displaced CI. The results showed 18% accuracy of words compared to 45% prior to surgery. (I recently completed a round of antibiotics to cure a case of bronchitis that struck me the week before and it is possible I still have some fluid in the ear.) I am wondering how well my understanding of sentences will be eventually... and this is the part I look forward to. I have faith my hearing IS going to be so much better than it has ever been for me. For now, I sign off with a soft smile and wish to express my gratefulness for your support and words of care for me. As a fellow CI friend made aware to me, Monday marks the first day of Spring and with that it brings a new beginning. Yes!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooz
We send our most heartfelt prayers for a successful re-implant. We wish
you, the surgeon and all concerned great success as we are sure the
outcome will be wonderful. You deserve it.
All our love to you and the girls.
wishing and praying for the best.
Love
Aunty Pat & Uncle John

Sun Mar 19, 08:45:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Suzy!
Like you say, Spring starts today! Flowers bloom and gardens grow. There are new beginnings everywhere we look. Your new beginning starts today as well, and the three of us here in Denmark are all rooting for you!
All the best,
Vibe, Kirsten and cousin Paul

Mon Mar 20, 12:49:00 AM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home