Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A re-implantation to come, at 8 am

This Monday, March 20th, marks the date of my re-implantation. I am to be there at 6:30 am sharp. It's been a sombre few months living with one hearing aid. I often reflect on experiences I had while activated for a short time. When the rain falls on the roof of the car, I think of what I heard a month ago. When the water runs from the faucet, I barely remember its tune. When I am in Safeway I recall the music and sounds around me and it feels like a passing dream. I have so much to discover in our noisy world and I am waiting for it!

As I write, I am visiting family in Oregon. The girls and I went skiing on the weekend with my brother and his lovely wife, Suzette. Even though the experience of skiing itself was refreshing and such a lift for me, I could not change my pattern of skiing short quick turns to long and winding ones - in fear of the inability to hear anyone approaching from behind. Everywhere I go, I have a strong sense of being confined in silence. I feel shy of making conversation with people, particularily in a group. With this said, I have my eye to activation day! If the healing goes well, the audiologist and I hope that I can be switched-on again on April 6th. I am very curious about what I will experience the second time around.

My mom is doing extremely well with her new hip. It has been 9 weeks post-surgery for her. We spent the day roaming the stores yesterday. She drives and moves very well and without any pain. I am very grateful she will be present for my surgery (and re-activation day). I am also in ease knowing that she can now manage the stairs in the house where we live. It has been wonderful to witness her amazing recovery. I remain hopeful for a chance at success with my new CI, and intend to provide weekly updates once I get through Monday's event.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooz, We here in Calgary are certain 2nd time round will prove to be BEST for you! Although remaining silent through most of the past weeks we have been anxiously awaiting your next chance at this. We relish with you the brief taste of sound you had previously and know now that better opportunity for that is just around the corner. We HEAR it coming out well for you and your gilrs and know that you do too! Our best wishes moving forward 2nd time round.
Love from all of us to all of you.
John Glenn, Ann, Aida & jack

Wed Mar 15, 02:46:00 PM 2006

 
Blogger KJackson said...

YAAAAAAAAAY Suzie! Few more days to go! I will be praying and wishing for you that all will go and best of lucks!
Hugs. KJ

Wed Mar 15, 09:19:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a relief! My prayers will be with you on Monday and for all the days and weeks afterwards as you go at this a second time around. Much love,
Lisa

Thu Mar 16, 07:58:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on your blog every day waiting to hear when the second surgery would happen. We will all be thinking of you. Mom and Dad are passing through tomorrow and I will update them on the news of your impending surgery.
Hang in there....
Margot, Chris, and kids

Thu Mar 16, 09:14:00 PM 2006

 
Blogger Laurie said...

Susie, I, too, am thinking of you and praying for you and will especially lift you up on Monday! Monday is the first day of spring and will be a NEW BEGINNING for you! I will be anxiously waiting to hear about your new "Dance with Sound" on April 6th. You are a beautiful and talented writer. Keep your readers posted when you can. Love and blessing, Laurie in TN

Fri Mar 17, 08:10:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy, Just wanted to wish you luck and let you know that I am thinking of you. With all the love and support behind you I am feeling positive that the outcome will be more than successful. Best wishes, Love Tess

Fri Mar 17, 09:40:00 AM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home