Sunday, June 25, 2006

an example of my progress

Last night I spent time at work in this Auditory Therapy site in CiHear.com under the link, "American English Pronunciation Practice."

These are an example of the words I was trying to decipher:

van/fan (I found this hard)
very/ferry (hard, again!)
safe/save (Phew, this was easy)
leave/leaf (Ah, ok, I got this)
lice/rice (I got 12 guesses right, and 2 wrong. I found it challenging, but am starting to recognize the R...)
low/row (8/2)
long/wrong (7/3)
shout/shot (6/4 - I started out weak but improved at last half)
cloud/clod (6/4)
pound/pond (5/5)
pout/pot (9/1)
these/z's (10/0)
breathe/breeze 10/0
clothing/closing 10/0
rhythm/risen 10/0
said/sad 5/5 (mostly guessing - I thought this would be easy.. not so!)
guess/gas 6/4

By this time I'd had enough. It was fun trying without any lipreading cues. This is excellent practice as I have no context of sentences to support my understanding.

Also, this week, I noticed that women's voices were sounding more fluid. Initially I found male voices easier to hear and their voices rich with bass. I found women's voices irritating (I say this with a sheepish grin) as the high frequency pitches in a female voice sounded raspy to me. The auditory nerve does take time to settle. This is so interesting to me because previous to the implant I preferred female voices for understanding. I take great pleasure in listening to anybody now! No more seclusion nor isolation - I am ready to take on the world!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooz,

We are so happy and excited for you that things are going well.

Your writing is exquisite, and I wonder how you find the time to Blog for us? Thank you for that.

Even though it is 32 degrees Celcius (about 100 degrees Fahrenheit) today, your recent stories gave me goosebumps!

Deb et al

Sun Jun 25, 11:36:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and today's entry makes me teary. I am so happy for you. love D.

Sun Jun 25, 12:17:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoW ! AWESOME !
Who ever said, "Practice makes perfect," MUST have been right.
You're the * on our tree.
Luv U - P & J Mox

Mon Jun 26, 01:26:00 PM 2006

 
Blogger Laurie said...

Suzie, You're on the right track! I had/have trouble with those very same sounds but it does get better. You're doing great! Keep practicing! Maybe we can chat on the phone one of these days.

As always, Laurie in TN

Mon Jun 26, 03:16:00 PM 2006

 
Blogger KJackson said...

How exciting for you!! Ohhh those days of "speech"..lots of fun. Huh? I'm kind of curious to try out that website you mention and the "listening" books..email me and give me a list of things that you tried.
Thinking of you, always.
Love K

Wed Jun 28, 02:12:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy! It is midnight July 17 and I could not sleep so thought I would go on computer....and I began thinking of you then found your sight.....WOW I am so happy and proud of you!!I really enjoyed reading about your journey and the photos were great.....such a brave woman!!!I think of you often and miss you as well!! Love You....Kathleen

Tue Jul 18, 12:12:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are things these days Suzy?

Thu Jul 20, 01:55:00 PM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home