Monday, May 22, 2006

time, perserverance and patience

I am recovering from a bad cold. It is the first I have been ill while activated with the CI. I had an awful time hearing with the processor and opted not to wear it much while recovering in bed. I have since found out from CI users that when they are sick or stressed, it can be hard to tolerate wearing the device. I have discovered that the brain and processor must work in sync together. The brain needs to be alert and healthy while the processor runs in top shape for best results. At the end of the day I continue to tire out quickly, and am getting to bed earlier at night..

I look forward to the end of the week as I will be meeting with my audiologist for some more re-mapping of my device. I still rely heavily on lipreading and wish to pursue some speech therapy.

I phoned my mother on Mothers Day. My sister picked up the phone and I thought it was her husband because the CI fooled me into thinking it was a male voice! It was a couple of days before I found out I had been talking to my sister. I also found it very difficult to hear my mother. I expected that I might have trouble, so I did not get too discouraged. Time, perserverance and patience are all in order.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzie,

It will get better! I promise! Hang in there and take one day at a time.

Hugs, Laurie in TN

Mon May 22, 04:29:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad others with CI can share their experiences with you and that you have the right attitude. Take care of yourself. Luv Di

Tue May 23, 06:05:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could give you one of my ears - but then, that could really mess you up!

We really really admire you - it can't be easy - we are all keeping our fingers, toes and thumbs crossed for you.

Take care,

Deb et al

Tue May 23, 09:13:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzie,

It DOES get better!! The first year is probably the hardest, but there are also lots of leaps and bounds that help along the way. I remember sometimes shutting myself in a room and listening to music was all I could handle sometimes, and that would be enough to keep going for that day.

Lee

Sat May 27, 11:48:00 AM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home