Tuesday, April 25, 2006

it is truly Spring

I had a turnaround with my CI and got to enjoy the weekend more deeply with it. The mix of sounds and voices are making some sense to me. I was at the beach and downtown all day on Sunday and am feeling increasingly connected to the world thorough sound. While at the beach I heard the ocean waves lapping on the shore and it was soothing and almost musical to me. I heard at least three different bird sounds and that astonished me. I need to learn what kinds of birds make what sound!

Since the turn-on of the CI, this is my first week back to work full time. The energy is returning as I had some adjustments to my processor to lessen the stimulation that was causing me extreme exhaustion. I am working most days this week with the families as well as with my regular job at the preschool. I look forward to hearing all the different voices in different environments. A sense of delight grew inside me while I worked with a woman who has an accent I found difficult to hear. I didn't have to ask her to repeat herself as much because I could make out most of her words! It is truly a miracle.

What a beautiful and unexpected start to my day. As I am writing this, my daughter's alarm went off in the next room and I can hear it from the office! I have not been as quick to put on the CI in the mornings because I find it a deafening start. Not today. I am on my way with more balanced sound.

I think often of my late father and his words when I was a little girl, "One day you will be able to hear...." (Bless you, Dad.) Mom left here for her homestead on Saturday morning after being with me for more than two weeks. Thank you Mom for everything. I am glad you were able to be a part of this monumental time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your turning point! What a fine spring day. Thank you for spreading your sunshine. D.

Tue Apr 25, 07:45:00 AM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzie,
I'm so glad "spring" has finally arrived for you! I, too, hear my daughter's alarm clock first thing in the morning when I put my CI on. And, I, too, have a parent (my mom), who told me years ago that maybe I might be able to hear someday. . .our stories are so much alike. Just take one day at a time and the rest will come to you. Blessings, Laurie

Wed Apr 26, 01:08:00 PM 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're way ahead of us Sue! Spring only just showed up here today. Seriously though, we read your blog with wonder. It is truly amazing and we hope things just keep on getting better and better for you as you learn more and more about the world of sound. All the best from Vibe, Kirsten and Paul in Copenhagen

Thu May 04, 11:58:00 AM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home